Call for Teams - Apollo 50th Lunar Lander and Rover National Competition
The North Dakota Space Grant Consortium (NDSGC) is partnering with the South Dakota Space Grant Consortium (SDSGC) to offer a unique opportunity for middle and high school student teams from Tribal communities in North Dakota. Please forward this opportunity to anyone you think may be interested in participating!
What: Apollo 50th Lunar Lander and Rover - National Competition (Organized by Washington Space Grant Consortium)
Who: Middle and High School student teams in Tribal communities
Where: Regional Competition in Rapid City, SD
When: Design and Build occur throughout Spring 2019 and Regional Competition in July 2019
- Using provided kit materials, students teams design and build a drone that can land in a specific landing zone (simulating the Lunar surface).
- Students also program a Lunar buggy to navigate an obstacle course.
- High school student teams’ rovers also plant a flag at the end of the course (optional for middle school student teams).
- The NDSGC will support up to five teams to compete in this drone/rover competition which celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing.
- The SDSGC is leading our region – we are looking for 5 ND teams to travel to SD for the regional competition in July 2019. The winner of this competition will travel to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston to compete with other regional champions.
- The SDSGC has identified faculty mentors willing to guide local teams.
- Professional development and training is available for teachers – can be provided by the Washington Space Grant Consortium.
What funding is provided?
- The NDSGC will provide each participating team (up to five teams) with a ~$500 kit of materials.
- The NDSGC will provide travel funding for teams to compete in the regional competition in Rapid City, SD.
- If your team wins the regional competition in SD, the travel to NASA’s JSC is also covered.
What do we need from you?
- If you are interested in participating, let me know! We will support the first five teams who respond. Please let me know if you are interested in competing by Friday November 16th.
- Name of teacher leading the team
- Name and location of school
- Middle or High School student team
- Approximate size of student team and grade levels represented
- If you or other faculty are interested in serving as a mentor to a team, please let me know! Would be fun to have some ND mentors!
- College or University